Wednesday 5 June 2013

An Introduction - Who am I and why am I writing this.

Hi All,

I started this blog as I have been doing research into chromebooks and Google Chrome OS recently whilst trying to decided if I should splash out and buy a new device to add to my ever growing collection. While doing this research I noticed a lack of peoples personal experiences with the OS and integrating it into there existing home and work life posted online. I could find a huge number of reviews of the devices and comparisons to Windows and Mac OS, but no-one saying "hey, this is what its actually like to use one of these devices and this is how it changed my tech life."

By no means am I a technology expert, but I'm not a noob either, I'm a 23 year old living in Australia, currently studying marketing. I have always had a fondness for technology, in high school I played around with Flash making short animations and I got bit by the techno bug. I started engrossing myself in anything tech I could find, 3d cad design, coding, and web design were my favourites, but I decided not to pursue any of these options after school as a career path, instead going down the I'm going to be a rock star" path, but i was still playing with new technology ever chance I could.

I can still remember pestering my parents to buy me this new fandangled device called an "mp3 player" before the iPod came out, and having to explain to them how this $120, 512 Mb with just a play /pause, forwards, backwards and volume button would replace my Walkman. All they could say was "but were does the music go in?" as soon as the iPod came out here in Australia I saved and saved and got one. the same with the iPhone. After a while i started expanding my collection of devices, multiple laptops, a few desktops, more phones than you can poke a stick at and a tablet.

Than recently, Google announced chromebooks for Australia, and I was intrigued. a laptop that runs a web browser and web based app's with a quick boot up time and a low price.... sounds good to me. so I did my research and decided that while it wouldn't be suitable to replace my desktop, it would certainly be fantastic as a secondary device.

In Australia, we only have three chromebooks available at this time, the samsung series 3, the hp and the acer. at first I was going to get myself the samsung, it seemed to be everything i wanted in a chromebook and the best looking one at that... but i started reading horror stories of defect that samsung wont acknowledge that caused the screen to crack extremely easily, and I ruled this one out. i decided the HP was the way to go for me you can read a review of it here.

I will be picking up my new chromebook tonight from JB Hifi (an Australia retailer, the closest thing in the US is Best Buy I suppose) for AUD$ 357.

My aim with this blog is to give you accounts of what I use my chromebook for, how it works in conjunction with (or maybe replaces) my other pc's and tablet. the things I discover, like and dislike about it, just to give you an unbiased idea of what it is like living with Chrome OS. I will also be posting reviews of app's in the Web store that I use and test out. make sur eyou subscribe so you dont miss a thing and keep up to to date on Life With Chrome OS.

No comments:

Post a Comment