Tuesday 18 June 2013

Chromebook + Android = A winning combo?

As most of my regular readers know, it’s been just short of two weeks since I got my chromebook, and yes.... I’m still singing its praises! But I haven't spoken about how it’s integrated with my existing devices to much yet. In addition to my Chromebook I run a few devices including a desktop PC running windows 7 (still haven't switched it on since my chromebook purchase), An LG Optimus L9 running Jellybean Flavoured Android and a really cheap ASK android tablet (again jellybean) that a family member brought back from Hong Kong for me, and I have official sold my soul to Google! Today I will talk about some of the services I use across all of my Google/android devices.  

Google Calender:
Although it may seem trivial, Google calendar has been fantastic, I have added my work rosters (I'm a shift worker) assignment due dates and other personal date to it on my chromebook. Effortlessly with missing a beat a week out from my assignment being due, a reminder popped up on my phone, thank you Google. The user interface and functionality of Google Calender is fantastic and it integrates so smoothly it’s ridiculous.

Google Drive:
Before my chromebook I had never used Google Drive, but I had some experience with SkyDrive (the Microsoft offering) and I have to say, although it’s practical and easy to use the UI could use a little tweaking once you get your head around it though, it’s fantastic, its integration with Google docs and its usability is second to none. The Android app can be a little fiddly at times on my phone but on my tablet I can edit all my docs on the fly!

Google Play Music:
This app is the one that truly caught me by surprise, as I have said in past posts I’m an ex-muso. So my music collection is rather large. There is no way the whole thing would fit on any of android devices, so I decided to give Google Play Music a try. After spending a whopping 12 hours uploading all my music to my account (just set it up before bed and go to sleep no use sitting there waiting) it was an amazing feeling to see all my music on all my devices! And no extra storage needed no removable hard drives and no hassles! there are however two downsides to Google Play Music in my eyes: a lack of customisable graphic EQ and the fact that it defaulted to one particular album cover I have for all my artists without album covers, and it’s a crappy one at that (rock classics of the 80's or something equally as corny).

No matter what you want (music, word processing, storage or something to keep track of your schedule) it all ties together nicely across the two platforms!

No comments:

Post a Comment