Monday 10 June 2013

Life With Chrome OS, a few days in.....

So its been about 4 days since I got my HP Chromebook, and its itme for an update as to how it has been integrated into my life so far. At this stage I am 100% happy with my switch to Chrome OS, I haven't turned on my PC since I purchased the new toy and I have only used my old Windows laptop once. In my day job I am unfortunately forced to use a Windows desktop as it uses some very specific software for taking bookings and dispatching them to taxi's, but I have even brought the Chromebook to work on the odd graveyard shift to study.

So far I have not found any application in my day to day life that the Chromebook cant do, My Uni study is fine, I have used both Google Doc's and Sky Drive's online Microsoft Office Suite. I have found some cool little games to kill the time (Band Stars, Review to come). and I have started using Google Calendar (one of the few google offerings I wasn't using regularly up until now.) So far I am so happy with this device I more then likely will be selling my old Windows 7 Toshiba Laptop (not to bad a laptop with 2gig of ram and an i3 processor) as I just dont need it.

I will be keeping my desktop as I use software like Dreamweaver and Photoshop as well as Pro Tools (for audio recording and editing) quite a bit approximately once or twice a week and I will obviously need a desktop with more processing power for those, but once viable web based alternatives become available I would not be apposed to making the permanent switch.

So far i have not found anything that causes much lag at all on the OS, I have had 10+ tabs open simultaneously and not had any drama's. There are only two things I would change so far (so google if you are listening.....)

1. Full Screen - I would love the ability to make apps true full screen (eg no google chrome adress bar etc.) i know this is mealy an appearance mod and not really going to change anything functuality wise. but in apps like Google Docs etc. Do we really need the address bar? either have a short cut / function key to go in and out of full screen mode, or make it when you mouse over and hover the address bar pops up, on a laptop i thing screen real estate is vital and this could improve it a bit.
2. Beter Screening on the web store - I Installed Need For Speed app found in the games section, when you click on the icon you go to a sign up page, and then have the option to download an .exe (this is useless on chrome os as you cant instsall them) and other games in the store i littleraly just links to the website to play the flash based game. I understood when I made the decision to purchase this laptop that I couldnt go installing Skyrim or Black Ops 2 on it, but I find these "games" misleading. why not have a section in the webs tore of (fun websites) or (game website) rather then advertising them as games with the consumer beleiving they are stand alone apps.

No comments:

Post a Comment